Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Software Usage

I love technology and my school district provides teacher computers with updated software.  As a teacher I mainly use Power Teacher to take attendance, keep a running track of grades and find useful information regarding my students.  I also use Microsoft Word to create handouts, worksheets, and anything else that requires a professional appearance.  I use PowerPoint for presentations to staff and students as well as YouTube and the Internet to find helpful material to use in the classroom.  My students use many of the above applications including READ 180 software provided by the school.

There are many software skills I would like to improve in order to increase my professional efficacy.  Learning how to use Microsoft Publisher would be very beneficial.  There are so many templates available within the program.  Microsoft Excel is another important program, I know how to use it to input data, but I am definitely not familiar with the formulas and everything else. 

This year writing has been a focus in my school and I'm sure students are overwhelmed with pressure from the school district.  Therefore, I thought creating a monthly newsletter or a monthly report to parents discussing what strategies we are using in the classroom and perhaps include a chart to help parents and students track their growth. 

To do this I will use a newsletter template from Microsoft Publisher.  I plan to research tutorial information on the Internet, consult the Technology Coordinator in my building and other teachers that create newsletters.  Hopefully in January I will be able to begin my project.  I hope students will be able to use the information to understand their strengths and weaknesses in writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment