Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Encouraging my colleagues to jump on the technology train.

To encourage my colleagues to engage in ongoing development in terms of technology integration I will begin using it in my classroom first.  I will gage my instruction to learn what students are interested in and what helps to motivate them.  Many of the teachers in my school are motivated by data so I will offer a pre - test for whatever content I'm using the technology to help teach and then I will offer a post-test.  If results are in favor of using technology I will present this to my staff and encourage them try similar lessons.  I really believe if I can show the staff how much students enjoy technology and engage in technology lessons they will begin to integrate this in their class.  I will also share with my teachers how important technology integration is for our 21st century learners. 

I can serve as a teacher leader for technology by first modeling technology in my classroom.  I plan to share lessons I create through technology with other colleagues in my subject area.   I will also make myself available to answer questions and alleviate concerns.  This week I decided to begin using twitter to connect with other educators around the world.  I believe with me getting started with this technology and being able to share what I learn will also help me serve as a leader.  Technology is a fearful area for many educators, but being a leader I will take the risk of using new areas of technology in my classroom.  I will also introduce them to personal learning networks so they can find others with similar interests and concerns.  In the end I hope to help educators see how the benefits will outweigh our fears. 

The tool I would use to facilitate training would first be a blog within our school community or even individual departments. This would help teachers begin to use technology first hand while reflecting on successes, concerns and fears with each other.  As teachers become more familiar with blogging I would motivate them to begin a new blog that is geared toward their students or family.  I would also encourage teachers to stay connected with each other through their blogs by sharing lessons they have created with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint or any other useful tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment