Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Internet technology concerns

This week I realize there are a lot of new and exciting technology options on the Internet that I would love to introduce into my classroom.  As I prepare to use more Internet technologies in my classroom there are a few concerns that come to mind.  First, I wonder how prepared I am to help navigate my students in the right direction.  Though I feel I am a digital native, I have not done a great job of staying current on the newest Internet resources available.  Technology is always changing so I fear what I teach my students may actually be outdated.  Secondly, I fear that my students may begin to use the Internet in ways other than intended.  I want them to feel free to explore and learn in a way that is best suited for them.  However, I also realize that guidelines need to be set.  Lastly, I fear that with so much technology being introduced how sure can I be that schools will be able to keep up with the demand. 

There are many ways to alleviate these fears.  I realize that I can't expect myself to know everything that is available right now.  I just have to be open and willing to learn new things.  I have to put myself in a position where I will prepared to learn.  Many times I feel time is a huge hindrance in my life, but allowing myself to stay open and take time to learn new things I can be better prepared and feel more confident in teaching my students new things.  In the process of introducing my students new things, I realize that teaching and reteaching Internet expectations are important.  I feel these skills will be just as critical as teaching any other expectation.  If students know what is expected at all times then I think I can alleviate my fear somewhat of them misusing Internet technology.  Lastly, in order to be sure Internet technology is available for my students I will need to plan ahead and ensure websites are not blocked.  I will also need to keep the lines of communication open with my technology coordinator.  That way I can have a heads up regarding new things, available things and Internet technology that is not available.

Though the amount of concerns I feel seem enormous, I feel the learning my students will have outweigh my fears.  Therefore, I have motivation and determination to work towards making myself aware of more things and being flexible enough within my classroom to allow learning, mistakes and relearning to take place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment