Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

The beginning...

As I begin reflecting on the use of technology in my school and my classroom I cannot deny there is much work to be done.  My school system does provide updated computers and Microsoft applications for students to utilize.  However, I realize I have missed the mark at meeting the NETS for teachers standards.  I try to include technology into my curriculum, but I realize I am still not truly preparing my students.  My activities are usually tailored for the classroom and students may not see how this transfers into the real-world.  I also have not provided my students with a learning experience that allows for their individual growth within technology.   There are many things I can change to help my students. 

There are many barriers to technology use in my school.  To begin, I only have five computers in my classroom.  I'm grateful to have these computers but it really limits what I can do with my students in regards to technology.  I have to be very creative in finding time to rotate all students through the computers.  The economic situation within my community is another barrier for technology.  We are not offered laptops with video cameras for every student or even simple things such as scanners for students to use.  Lastly, many websites that could be used to collaborate with students and others are blocked.

While beginning this journey through technology I will not allow fear to rule me.  There are many web applications that I am unfamiliar with, but as I focus on the directive "fear not" I am determined to embrace them.  I plan to take this technology journey as an opportunity to learn new things by challenging myself.  I will not be afraid to make mistakes or present new activities to my students.  I know that God has everything in control and I know he will give me wisdom and peace to overcome fear and learn more about technology.

As I continue through my technology class I hope to learn a variety of ways I can begin incorporating technology into my classroom.  There are many new programs available and I want my students to have the opportunity to learn them while growing through assessments and projects.  Another goal is to learn new technology that I can present to my co-workers, so students have more opportunities to develop technology skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment